TEAM SPOTLIGHT: RAY GIPSON, SUPERINTENDENT
Ray Gipson has been a Superintendent with FaverGray for 4 1/2 years. He is currently the Superintendent of the Flamingo Crossings project, our 10,440-bed student housing developments for American Campus Communities in Orlando, Florida.
Can you start by telling us a little bit about yourself?
I started my career in the construction industry in 1978. My first supervisor position was as a crew foreman at the age of 17. I’ve been building multifamily projects for 23 years.
What is your education/certification background?
- Palm Beach State College – 1-year Structural Engineering
- South County Tech – Residential Wiring and AC circuit design
- NCCER Certified Concrete Finisher
- NCCER Certified Commercial Carpenter
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Quality Management
- Florida DEP Stormwater Management Inspector
- NPDES Advanced Stormwater Management Inspector
- Florida DEP Wetland Delineation Professional
- Florida DEP Trainer for Storm Water Management Inspector
Tell us about some of your previous work experience.
- Gulfport/Biloxi International Airport construction of runway extension
- Gulf Watch: $25M, 32-building 128-unit garden-style residential complex in Biloxi, Ms.
- Gulfport Streetscapes: $8.8M, downtown renovation including the demolition and reconstruction of streets and sidewalks incorporating current ADA guidelines with a 100-year-old historical downtown in Gulfport, Ms.
- Panorama Tower: $300M, 83-story mixed-use residential complex in Miami, Fl
- Met III: $90M, 32-story 486-unit high-rise luxury apartment complex in Miami, FL.
- Atlantic Plaza: $50M, 8-story 260 unit mid-rise luxury apartment complex in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Park Square: $54M, 340-unit garden-style luxury apartment complex in Doral FL
Why did you join FaverGray?
I was impressed by the “team” attitude and the “family “ atmosphere that I saw at my job site interview.
How would you summarize what you do?
Supervision of subcontractors, inspect work completed, schedule city code compliance inspectors, complete daily reports, and update production schedules.
What does your typical day look like?
Piloting a ship around the Horn of Africa during a hurricane. Or maybe, fighting a 4 alarm fire from inside the structure.
What do you look forward to at work?
The feeling of accomplishment after a hard work day.
How would you describe our company culture?
What advice would you give to someone interested in a career in construction?
Focus on continuing education for the new technologies, tools, and trends in the construction field.
Are there any trends in the multifamily or student housing industry that are of specific interest to you?
Factory pre- fab of building components requiring fewer on-site workers and producing less waste.
How do you define success?
Never quitting. No matter where you start each step forward is a success.
Who or what inspires you?
What do you do for fun/hobbies?
My vegetable garden